Listening is a skill that will carry you far in business. As you listen, be present! Always keep in your mind, what can I learn and what value can I bring?
- PAY ATTENTION. Focus on details as you listen to someone. Make sure you allow others to express themselves before you weigh into a conversation.
- Look the person in the eyes. Keep focused on them. Put your phone away when you are in the company of others.
- Try not to jump to conclusions when you are in a conversation with someone.
- Never interrupt. Give a person an opportunity to get all their thoughts on the table. This gives you time to process what they are sharing.
- Make notes. Remember the high points as a person speaks and comment on what impresses you the most.